The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is seeking an Executive Director for the California Chapter. The ideal candidate will possess strong nonprofit business management skills, a strong understanding of professional associations, a substantial knowledge of the social work profession, will be comfortable working with community partners and will have a strong commitment to social work values. Applicants will have also leadership skills that engage, inspire, increase and mobilize the chapter and Association’s membership.
NASW is the largest membership organization of professional social workers in the world, with over 100,000 members. NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound and just social policies. The California Chapter located in Sacramento, CA has more than 8,000 members statewide with an on-going goal of growing membership from the growing number of professional social workers in the state of California.
The Chapter Executive Director reports to the NASW Deputy Director of Chapter Operations at the National Office and is accountable to the California Chapter Board of Directors. Travel across the state of California is a required component of the position. The position is for 40 hours per week with a competitive salary plus excellent benefits, including health and life insurance, and retirement.
- Bachelor degree required; MSW preferred
- Minimum 3 years of senior management or administrative experience; nonprofit and board development experience is helpful and will be a plus for prospective candidates
- Leadership experience working and collaborating with profession or non-profit organizations and their volunteer Boards
- Demonstrated ability to work independently while meeting meeting local and national organizational goals and timelines
- Exceptional management and administrative skills with oversight of multiple programs
- Exceptional written and oral communications
- Strong organizational abilities, including budget preparation, analysis, decision -making and reporting
- Professional Social Worker with MSW
- NASW member or join upon employment
- Experience in membership recruiting, engaging, and support
- Demonstrated success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence, funders, volunteers and partner organizations
- Strong public speaking ability; Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to staff, board of directors, volunteers and members
- Demonstrated program development and implementation
- Experience and skills in the area of public policy, advocacy, and the legislative process
- Knowledge of local and national policy as they relate to the profession of social work
- Ability to manage administrative tasks in conjunction with the NASW National Office
- Experience in fundraising
- Experience working with social media platforms
- Proficiency with MS Office products software, including Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint, as well as working in the online/“cloud” environment
Only electronic applications will be accepted. Applicants will email a cover letter and résumé addressing above qualifications, to: firstname.lastname@example.org , Subject title “ California Executive Director” no later than May 8th, 2020.
NASW-CA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. Applicants from diverse communities are encouraged to apply.